Sunday, November 3, 2013

My Birthdays

It’s not every day a girl gets 2 birthdays. And I’m not talking about celebrating it for 2 days. I mean really 2 birthdays. Since we’re in New Zealand and are a day ahead of the US, my birthday came twice this year :) To celebrate my NZ birthday, we went to the farmers market in town. It’s only on Saturdays & luckily it just happened to fall on Nov 2. Ideally, I would love to just walk around & make a purchase at every stand. But I had to hold back. Plus, we didn’t have that much space in our refrigerator & I don’t want food to go bad. We did end up buying some apples, asparagus & mushrooms. So glad we did because asparagus in the stores costs around $6-9! Here it was only $3.50. Much more reasonable. So glad we started the day off here. I think Lane may work every other Saturday or we’ll be taking little day trips, so we probably won’t make it back here.

 I really wanted to buy one of these chocolate bars, but they were $7! They had some really cool flavors though like white chocolate lemon poppy seed.



After that we went home, ate lunch & put the kids down for naps. Then we waited & waited for them to wake up. It’s not normal that I want my kids to take short naps. I usually pray for long ones! But we were ready to go! Next we went to Tongoio National Park to hike to Tongoio Falls & Te Ana Falls. These were shorter hikes compared to Shine Falls. And it was a good thing because Davis is totally over hiking. Once again Lane carried him on his shoulders. Everyone else did great. The falls were beautiful! I could hike to waterfalls all day. Elliot & I decided to call ourselves the Waterfall Hunters :)



Te Ana Falls
 Tongoio Falls


After we got back to our car, it was already 6pm. We were hoping to squeeze in a quick trip to the beach, but we knew we’d be pushing it since it was getting late & the kids hadn’t eaten. I chose to pick up a pizza from Pizza Hut for my birthday dinner. Yes, nothing fancy. I just wanted to be completely satisfied & as I was looking at menus around town, nothing really sounded that great to me. It was all contemporary food that I probably wouldn’t like & super expensive. So we paid $8 instead & got an XL pepperoni pizza. And I was happy. I also sent Lane to get me 2 desserts at 2 different places. Yes 2! I figured I was going to have to share them with everyone so I needed more than 1. When he got back, one was right & the other was not. I’ll admit I was a little peeved. But only because it was the super chocolatey one & I was SO looking forward to it. But I forgave him. We are going to get it tonight :) So instead, I ate the one chocolate cheesecake all by myself & let them have the other one. It worked out. After the kids were in bed, Lane & I got to watch a movie. We had rented 2 earlier. The Hobbit because it’s filmed here & we are actually going to go on a Hobbit Tour, so we wanted to see it again. And we also rented Gatsby because I still haven’t seen it. That was the one we sat down to watch until we realized that it was a Blue-ray & our dvd player is not. Fail. So we settled on The Hobbit.

For my US birthday we actually didn’t do too much. We went to church. Lane got asked to speak next Sunday-blah. Later that night we went to have dinner at one of Lane’s colleague’s house. They cooked a wonderful lamb dinner with homemade bread & baked vegetables(New Zealand yams, raw okra (I normally eat fried), carrots & something else). And for dessert she made strawberry rhubarb with oats. Normally I would turn up my nose to everything there except for the bread, but it was all really good. I’ve never had lamb before & it tasted like a really moist roast. And the best thing about it was I made a friend! I know that sounds lame, but the wife, Dawn, is really nice. She’s older, probably I don’t know 40s. She has 2 girls ages 11 & 9. Anyway, I think we’ll probably get together some time so that will be nice to have adult conversation.

So there you have it. The year I turned 31, I had 2 birthdays.  Oh ya, and Elliot gave me her space monkey to sleep with as my gift. But she made sure I knew it was only for 1 night. It was very sweet of her.
 

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Happy belated birthday (twice)!!

Jan said...

I am so glad you had a nice birthday. The falls are all beautiful!!!! And I am especially happy that you now have a friend there. Hope you share many good times. We love you!

Bexie Funk said...

I'm glad you found a friend! I didn't think about it but that would be really hard! Happy birthday!

Jami said...

Sounds like you had a good time. We were wondering when you would celebrate. I'm glad you finally tried some good food. Lamb is awesome. It goes on sale at Aldi every so often.

Brenda said...

Glad you had a good birthday Jalei - and lucky you got 2! I loved Elliot's gift to you - I know that would be hard for her to give up Space Monkey even for one night! So happy you have a New Zealand friend and hope you get some good adult conversation -Love you!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I love everything about this post! First...I sent you like seven birthday texts to all sorts of different numbers. I wasn't sure if you'd have a cell phone over there but wanted to make sure you knew I was thinking about you! I can't believe how expensive the food is there! That sucks. And I'm dying over all these hikes and waterfalls. So so pretty. I also freaking love all the info about your birthday desserts. We really are a lot alike.