Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Eve

We headed out to Whitney today to spend the day with Lane's mom & her husband, Rich. It's so nice to get away & be out in the "country". It's really peaceful. In fact, after we put E to bed, I was playing on the computer, Lane was studying, his mom was baking brownies, Rich was getting a fire going,  and Christmas music was playing. Doesn't that sound perfect? There was no hustle & bustle going on. Just pure calmness. I loved it & briefly considered moving to the country one day.

Anyway, let's rewind to earlier. Jan & Rich took us to this place called Homestead Heritage. It's in Waco. I'm not sure what the correct label for this community is, but it reminded me of the Amish. They are pretty much self sufficient. We walked all around there & saw so many cute things. Unfortunately my camera battery died & I didn't bring my charger, so I had to get pictures from their website. Mine would have been much better, but oh well.

They have their own animals. We saw the chickens, turkeys & goats. We were able to go inside the goat area to pet them. I have to say kids (baby goats) are so cute! They were so friendly & would just come right up to us. Elliot loved it.

 Inside this "Barn" they sell all sorts of handmade items. Their workmanship is truly amazing. I wanted to buy this precious white dress for Elliot, but it cost $275!

We watched the blacksmith as he made a hat rack. Very interesting. I wish you could have seen the fire hot coals. There was this HUGE billows that was attached to the side of the place where the coals were. It was pretty neat looking. 


This place is called the Grist Mill. It grinds up all sorts of grains. I really just like this big water wheel.

Before we left we ate at their deli. Lane & I split the sweet potato soup and it was sooo good!

The end.

6 comments:

Jami said...

That looks like fun. The girls love any animals they can get close to.

Jocelyn said...

Y'all always so such fun (and random!) things... I love see pictures of all your little adventures!

Regina said...

That little self sufficient community sounds neat. I'm always interested in Amish country. Sounds like a fun little getaway!

Bexie Funk said...

looks like fun and that inn looks amazing!

the tatsaks said...

I had no idea you had been doing all this fun stuff! You have been busy! The Bed and breakfast looked awesome! I can't believe Dec has come and almost gone, yikes!

Lindsey said...

Wow that's expensive for a little dress!! Looks like y'all had fun.