Monday, January 2, 2012

Not Ready

I have been planning on potty training Elliot at the first of the year. She's just shy of 2 1/2 years old and I have felt that she's ready, seeing as she tells me she needs to go potty when she needs a new diaper. Of course she's already gone in the diaper at that point. But I figured with a little "training" she'd pick right up on it. The other day she said she had to go potty, so I took her in there and set her on the pot. She told me to close the door, so I did. Then I hear her say, "I'm finished." Not expecting anything I go in there and take a look and sure enough she went #2. What a surprise. That incident confirmed my feeling that she was so ready.

Well we didn't make it past day 1. I quickly realized that she's NOT ready. She only had 1 successful potty visit and that was right after her bath at night. I even set a timer to take her into the bathroom every 10 minutes, but she never had to go when the timer went off. Now I'm not writing her off so quickly because she had accidents all day long. That part doesn't bother me. For me the indicator that she wasn't ready was when she would be sitting in her chair and pee and not even flinch. Even after she had finished. She'd just sit there and continue watching tv like nothing ever happened. So she's not recognizing the feeling that she has to go, or that she's gone for that matter. I guess I will just wait a bit longer until that clicks for her. Sigh.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Jacob started out the same way, too. We had the small Bjorn potty that I kept in the living room. That thing was so great with training. Also, the final step that worked for Jacob was just to keep him naked from the waist down. That part didn't last long, but, he was so afraid to go on the floor and make a mess that he would run to his potty. Might be worth a shot if you're up for it? It would be the same as cleaning up a mess that went through underwear? Keep me posted or let me know if you have any other questions!! :)

Regina said...

That story CRACKED me up the other night! I would wait. Makes it a billion times easier.

Jami said...

It will happen. If you try again, you may want to set the timer to 30 minutes instead of just 10.

Christina Bassi said...

Yes, you are right. Just wait till she is ready. I waited till Dominic was nearly three and it was a piece of cake. Nothing to worry about. They all get it eventually.

Jaymie and Justin said...

She could be close though. You never know. Good luck!

Lindsey said...

Since you're such a good party host, I totally you think you should do this Potty Party to train her!!

http://getcreativejuice.blogspot.com/2011/11/our-parties-potty-party.html

(from my college roommate Mindy's blog LOL) :)

Laura said...

I hate potty training! I thought Lindsay had it down, but then she totally relapsed. Sometimes I put underwear on her if I feel like doing laundry and if we are staying home that day, but she pretty much has a pull-up on 24/7. I was hoping she'd be 100% potty trained my the time the baby came, but it's not looking so good. Oh well, what do you do?