Sunday, September 14, 2008

How It Is

It's strange to think that Lane & I stayed during a hurricane. I didn't get any sleep! Lane on the other hand slept like a baby. There was a tree by our bedroom window that kept hitting it & made so much noise! So I took my pillow & headed for the couch. I didn't have much luck there either. Too much going on. So by the time morning rolled around I was exhausted. When we got up, we walked around the halls in our building. It was still pretty windy, rainy & really dark. A little later in the day, we surveyed the area & I couldn't believe how many trees had been torn out of the ground. That was my favorite quality of where we live! I was surprised at how much was torn up, that I didn't really see anyone's car damaged or windows broken (except for 1).

Below you can see that our streets were flooded. Since I had rain boots on, I waded through the disgusting water & poked around with a stick to find the drain. Once I found it, I worked for a while & unclogged it until FINALLY....

it looked like this! I have to say I was pretty impressed with myself.

Well after all that, we went back inside & just sat there in the heat & humidity! It was pretty miserable. We did have a little propane tank with a burner that Lane used to cook pizza rolls, which were fabulous!

We spent all day deciding what would be best to do. We finally decided that it would be a good idea to leave & stay with family until power comes back on. Who knows when that will be. They said it could be from 2-4 weeks! So now we're in Whitney, TX just hanging out! Hopefully it won't be too much longer until we can go back to normal.

14 comments:

Paige said...

WOW! Great pictures! I am glad yall are safe and nice work on draining the street!

Alyssa and Kevin said...

Look at you!!! Glad you guys are ok. What's up with random man watching you work?? :)

Regina said...

Good job Jalei!! Why aren't yall here?! Is Whitney closer or something? So you obviously won't have to go back to work for while huh? I would totally have left too! WAY to hot and humid to be without A/C.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Wow, Jalei!! Clint and I went through the pics and that is crazy!! I am glad everything is ok. Yuck, no power. That stinks!

the tatsaks said...

Good work, I am very impressed. I am glad yall are ok, I was so worried about yall!

KT said...

way to go Jalei! And didn't you get those boots recently- looks like they came in handy. and you realize soon after you lose power how much you need your ac. we lost power on saturday night and we also decided to go stay with family for awhile.

Jami said...

So are you guys going to come up here? You are welcome to visit my class. What are you doing about work and school?

Jalei & Lane said...

Jami-no, we should be heading back to Houston tomorrow. Lane has class on Wednesday. BUT, we still have no power or water, so I don't want to go back. I'd just be sitting at home sweating. I guess we'll see what happens.

Regina said...

I JUST noticed the slideshow down below this post. SOoo CRAZY! Does it seem weird that huge ancient trees were uprooted, and none of the bushes have a leaf out of place?? Hmmm. I smell a conspiracy.

CoCo said...

Glad to hear your family is safe. My older brother (Lane - pretty sure you met him in Boston on one of his visits) and his family are in Cypress, TX.

Allison said...

You are more than welcome to come hang out at our house if you want as we have power and water. We only lost power for 7 hours.....we were VERY lucky, especially since most people out here still don't have power or water. I'll be here with the kids all week, so let me know. We would love to have you over (Lane too)! And, you can take a shower! :)

The Piersons said...

I'm so glad there wasn't major damage to your place. That is so crazy though, I couldn't believe it when I looked at all the pictures. Good work girl.

Donnie and Laura said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the street! They're saying the earliest we'll go back to school is October 6th :(

The Lindsey's said...

I think you have a future job...you should head to Galveston and help hehe glad you guys are ok