Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Time for a Big Girl Bed??

We are staying at my parents' house in Arlington. E has a full size crib to sleep in, so that's always nice. And we sleep in a bedroom downstairs in the basement. This morning I woke up at 5:30 am to crying. I check the monitor & see no child in the bed. So I quickly rush out of my bed to head up the stairs. And that's where I meet Elliot. She had climbed out of her crib, opened her door, walked through the living room & started crawling down the stairs to get to us. Now that she can do this. I have no doubt that she will do the same thing at home. We had planned on getting her a big girl bed once we moved, but didn't want to get it earlier for packing reasons. Plus, she is SO squirmy that there is NO WAY she would lie still in a big bed long enough to fall asleep. It usually takes her 30 minutes to fall asleep & the whole time she is changing positions. I'm not sure what to do about it.

10 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! Already??? Both of mine never really climbed out even though I know they could/can. Emerson will swing her legs over and has climbed in once to play during the day but that's it. And I think Landon fell out once. I kept Landon in his crib until he was about 38 months old and I plan on keeping Emerson in as long as possible as she is like Elliot and I know she won't stay put. I'm dreading it! Landon did great and still is awesome about sleeping and staying put.

I agree with trying to wait until after you move, but you might not have another choice. Maybe it scared her enough and she won't do it again. Fingers crossed she stays in the crib tonight!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

EEEkkk!!! Scary that she made it that far in the middle of the night! You figure it out and then let me know so I can work your magic on C.

Alys said...

One of my friends got one of those crib tents when he little boy started getting out of bed. It is just mesh and goes over the top so they can't escape. It would definitely be easier than buying a new bed.

Jami said...

You could try putting her on the trundle bed at mom and Dad's to see how she does. That way she is close to the ground.

Regina said...

Ya, what about a crib tent? I have never used one and I am not sure how much they are, but maybe that would work. I know a lot of people swear by those things.

Elizabeth said...

We moved Dennis to a toddler bed as soon as he climbed out of his crib. We just kept a child lock on his door to keep him in. We had to try a couple since he figured them out really fast too! For the first few months in the bed he would wake up crying and we'd have to go check on him until he got used to sleeping in his bed.

Bexie Funk said...

we change to a bed once they start climbing out b/c I get scared they're going to hurt themselves by climbing out. (my kids always fall out) good luck its a hard transition.

Lindsey said...

My sister used to put the child gate up around her daughter's big kid bed...it was the only way to keep her in bed! lol

Debbie said...

this past week we moved Jacob to a big boy bed. i put it off for so long just preparing for the worst. he's actually been sleeping better than he did in the crib! he goes down easy, doesn't make a peep all night and we have to wake him up on the weekday to leave the house! it's only been 4 or 5 days, but, we've only had one rough night. i'd say try for the big bed now! we got some rails at babiesrus and he's in a full size bed.

the tatsaks said...

Oh man! And so it begins. Cru started this at around 2 and it has been hell every since. Hope it isnt for you though:)