Friday, October 7, 2011

Davis Reid


I started contracting every 6 minutes around 5:30pm on Thursday, October 6th. We hung out at my parents’ house with Elliot until around 8pm. At that point the contractions were coming every 4 minutes. I got settled into Labor & Delivery triage around 9pm. Apparently everyone & their dog decided to have their baby tonight because there were no empty rooms. So I had to labor in triage for 2 hours! I normally wouldn’t mind, but at 9pm my contractions were every 2 minutes. Luckily Lane kept me busy with his comedy act.  And by the time I got into my room, they were every 20 seconds. And keep in mind I couldn’t get my epidural until I was in a room. And they had to monitor the baby for at least 20 minutes before allowing me to have it. Plus it takes about 20 minutes to kick in. So needless to say I was in excruciating pain. I may or may not have bawled waiting for the relief to come. I was sure that I was going to have the baby before they could put it in. Luckily that wasn’t the case. Once everything started working, it was probably midnight. My legs felt like a rubber chicken to the touch and I couldn’t will them to move if I wanted to. When the nurse lifted my gown to insert the catheter, her eyes widened. I had lost my mucus plug, my water had broken, and you could see the baby’s head. All along I had no idea. That’s how numb I was. I couldn’t even feel any pressure. The nurse wasn’t sure if I’d be able to push since I had no feeling in my bottom half, but we got my doctor in there anyway and gave it a go. Two sets of pushes later, Davis entered the world at 1:16am on Friday, October 07, 2011. He weighed in at 7 pounds 4 ounces. He measured 20 inches long. I gained a total of 22 pounds with him. I find that odd because I gained 32 pounds with Elliot and she was 11 ounces lighter. Strange. Anyway, he is absolutely perfect.

13 comments:

Gwen said...

THAT'S MY GIRL!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! He IS perfect! Sorry about the pain. Gaining 22lbs is better than 32lbs. That's awesome! Congrats again!!!

Allison said...

Congrats!!! We are so happy and excited for all of you! He is precious and I think he looks just like Elliot. Can't wait to meet him in person! And 22 lbs. is awesome.....I gained about 40-42 with both kids!

Caitlin said...

YAY!! Congrats! He is absolutely adorable. Can't wait for more pics!

Christina Bassi said...

Congratulations, Jalie! He is so beautiful. I am glad everything ended up well and you finally got some meds. You are going to love having a boy. They are so much fun. Im so happy for you guys!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Contractions hurt, huh?! Sorry you had to go through that because of a busy hospital. That stinks! He is so cute and I'm glad it all went ok. You are superwoman for posting about it already. For real.

KT said...

YAY! I've been checking your blog every day this week just in case. Davis is so cute! Congrats! You are a superwoman for making it that long without meds. At least you got them for the actual delivery.

Jami said...

He is a handsom little guy. Can't wait to see him tomorrow.

Kelley and Addison said...

YEA!!!! Congrats!!!! And I am proud of you for posting pictures and a blog so soon!! Great Job, Jalei!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, congratulations! He is so handsome, and I'm proud of you for enduring labor for so long without the epidural.

I can't wait to see more pictures of your sweet boy and happy family!

Bexie Funk said...

congratulations! he's a cutie!

Kashari said...

YEA!!! Congratulations! Now there are two cute new baby boys that have arrived in the world within weeks of each other. :)

Brenden said...

Congratulations!!! I didn't know you had him already, I was surprised when I checked your blog! He is absolutely adorable!!! Glad you were able to get your epidural in time. What a beautiful family of four! And I saw your comment you should def do a gender reveal party next time it was so much fun. I think now that we have one of each we are tempted to not find out with the 3rd. We'll see though, I'm not very patient usually. Congrats again!!!

Debbie said...

yayyy!! congratulations! he is absolutely gorgeous. i can't believe you only gained 22 lbs. good for you!! i'm glad you got your epidural. i can't believe all of that happened while you were numb and couldnt feel anything, how crazy!

leaving Jacob was the hardest thing for us when we had Noah too. I felt like we didnt see him for ages, but, it's just because sooo much happened/changed in a matter of hours. glad you're a happy, healthy family of 4. precious. :)