Thursday, April 5, 2012

Broken

I feel like we are in a constant state of fixing things. I'm sure you all feel the same way sometimes. I swear Elliot is going to look back on her childhood and think that nothing ever worked around the house. She's always asking, "It's broken?" And I just sigh & say, "Yes, Elliot. It's broken and we need to fix it." I feel like it all started last summer when our AC broke like 10 times. That number is NOT an exaggeration. So there were many nights spent at the grandparents. Luckily they're close by. With the drought our house shifted & it's next to impossible to get our front door open. Not to mention there are several cracks in the walls/ceilings. Things quieted down for a while and then our disposal stopped working. That was a quick fix. I know there's probably several more things that went wrong, but I can't seem to remember them. Probably for the better. Then most recently, we got new tires on the car 2 weeks ago & in the process found out one of the wheels was cracked, so we had to fix that as well. Our disposal broke again. Then just this past weekend, my right front tire looked low. I aired it up a couple of times & took it back to Discount Tire. Found out there were 2 holes right next to each other & they had to completely replace the tire instead of patching it. Only 2 weeks after getting new tires! Good thing we bought the warranty. Lane just called & said he's going to have to get new brake pads tomorrow. And the latest, we need a new hot water heater. I walked into the hallway & noticed water. Sure enough, the basin was completely full. I had to scoop out water into a trash can to keep it from overflowing. So that's being fixed. Thank goodness we're just renting our house, or else I think I would die. Our land lord is really great and on top of things too, so that's a blessing.

6 comments:

Regina said...

Oh girl, I've got you beat by a long shot!! A/C went out twice last year, disposal went out twice in the last month, tune up on Jeep, new brakes on Jeep, new toilet, floor, vanity, drywall in bathroom after a leak caused mold PLUS plumber to do it all. Then Sunday we had to buy a new filter for our fridge when water leaked all over the floor and Monday we had to have freon (sp?) put in our a/c. And we had to pay for every last penny of it. BAM! The joys of home ownership! Michael is ready to rent a house for the rest of our life!

Christina Bassi said...

Oh man, Jalei. That sounds awful. How stressful.

Jami said...

Patrick can help with the brakes if you need it. It sounds like you are having ournseptember from two years ago, but we own the house.

Allison said...

I totally feel your pain! Same sort of things happened to us a few years back in the old house. My friends always joked that if they wanted a new appliance or item to let me come over and I will curse the current one! Ha!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

That stinks! But really, good thing your land lord has to cover most of it! We are about to be renters, too--so I'm sure we will be right there along with you!

Jocelyn said...

I feel your pain! Our dishwasher broke (and leaked) on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. We replaced that, and because one of our ovens (we have a built-in double-oven unit) and the lights on our microwave were broke, we ended up getting all new kitchen appliances (so they would all be matching stainless steel). The ice maker on our fridge is broke, but it's only 5.5 years old, so that's the one kitchen appliance that is still black instead of shiny silver.

I had to get a brake job done on my car. And then a few weeks ago, our hot water heater broke and leaked water all down the walls of our guest bathroom. So we got that replaced and next Monday, a guy is coming to redo the walls of the bathroom (we peeled off the damaged wallpaper, and it will be textured and painted). The water damage messed up the shelves of our medicine cabinet and made it to where it is now very difficult to close the bathroom door. Oh joy! ;-)