Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nie Nie

Do any of you read NieNie Dialogues? It's a blog by Stephanie Nielson. She's been on all the morning shows recently. She and her husband were in a plane crash back in 2008 and she was burned over 80% of her body. Anyway, I read it and I have also read her  book Heaven is Here (good read).

Well last night I got to hear her speak in person! I was pretty excited because I've never been in the same room as anyone "famous". And bonus, Glenn Beck was there too! He briefly spoke and introduced the Nielsons. First Christian (her husband) spoke and then Stephanie. I really wanted to take a picture, but since it was in the chapel (of our church), that would have been inappropriate. Anyway, they spoke about their experience and how with the Savior's help they were able to get through it.

One thing that I took from it and have been thinking about is that we all made a choice to come to this Earth and receive a body, knowing ahead of time the trials we would have to go through. But we thought it was worth it. She said at one point while she was in a coma, she remembers having a choice that she could either stay in Heaven and work there, or go back to Earth and be with her family. She says that she wanted to come back and be in her body, even though it would be painful. That really made me think about life and how precious it is and how grateful we should all be for our bodies. It's something we definitely take for granted. Anyway, I was really glad I was able to hear an uplifting message.

7 comments:

KT said...

That is so cool you saw NieNie in person! I haven't read her book, but I have read her blog. She is an amazing lady.

Allison said...

Very cool!! I used to follow her blog when I had more time and now I periodically check in. Her book is next on my list as soon as I finish the book I am reading now. Glad to hear it was good! Oh, and I love Glenn Beck too!

Justin and Allison said...

Love her blog! That's cool you got to hear her speak. Congrats on the pregnancy....I was so shocked to read that. Good for y'all!

Gwen said...

I've heard of Nie Nie and checked out her blog once and that was it. I'm glad you had the chance to hear her speak. That was a great opportunity.

BTW, after the detergent incident, I laid on the bed in disbelief for a few minutes. If I had thought about it, I probably would've left.

Christina Bassi said...

How cool. They spoke at your ward. Man, I'm jealous. :-) I'm happy you had such an uplifting experience.

Laura said...

I'm so jealous! I love her!! That is cool you got to listen to her in person!

Debbie said...

I'm jealous!!! I started reading her blog right after the accident. Such an amazing woman, amazing mom and incredible family. I love their story. I haven't read her book yet, but, definitely want to!! Glad you got to go. :)