Friday, April 19, 2013

Not Expecting This

This might be too much information, but I've always been an open book so I'll tell you anyway. Plus it might be informational if you're thinking about doing this. 

About a month ago, I had the IUD, Mirena, placed in me. The other day I went to my OB for a routine sono check they do to make sure it's still in the correct spot. The tech was doing her thing and then asked me when I had had it placed in me. At first I thought nothing of it, but after she asked 3 times, I was like--what's going on lady? She informed me that it was nowhere to be found on the sonogram and I must have expelled it. I was in complete shock. Wouldn't I have noticed that?! At this point I'm thinking, well do I get another one? Or should I take this as a sign that my body was not cool with me placing a foreign object inside? 

I speak to my doctor and she refers me to have an xray done to make sure it's not in me somewhere. She says 1 of 2 things has happened. #1-you have expelled it. #2-it has traveled through your uterine wall and is floating around in your abdomen. So I have the xray done and DING DING DING #2 wins. And my prize is SURGERY! Don't worry,she says. It's minimally invasive laparoscopic and you'll barely notice 1 tiny scar. I could care less about the scar. What does concern me is that I will have to be put under. I've never had surgery in my life, much less been knocked out. The thought terrifies me. The date is set for May 8th. I always thought that if I went under the knife, it would be for a boob job. Not for something as random as this.

When I go in for my pre-op, I'm going to ask for another Mirena pamphlet. I read that thing cover to cover and don't remember this being listed as a possible outcome. Plus Lane looked up some info about cases like mine and found that if you match 1 of these 3 things (recently had a baby, are currently breastfeeding, have an inverted uterus) this is more likely to occur. That DEFINITELY was not in the pamphlet and I match ALL 3 of those. Had I known that, I would not have done it. I love my doctor, but feel like she should have known that and told me. I guess that's neither here nor there. As if my life wasn't hectic enough, let's throw a surgery in there plus the hefty bill that follows. Well it's safe to say I will not be getting another IUD. Lane & I will just have to deal with things the old fashioned way...abstinence :)

11 comments:

Regina said...

I am still in complete shock over this!!!

Greg and Nancy said...

That happened to a friend of mine a few years ago! Crazy stuff. I've never had THAT happen but I have had a laparoscopy and been put under twice, so feel free to email me if you have any questions. :)

Allison said...

Girl, first of all I'm sorry. That sucks! I hope all turns out okay. You will be fine, it's just a total pain and something you should not be having to deal with at all. I think the doctor or manufacturer needs to pay your medical bills!! Secondly, my good friend has had YEARS of major problems and 5 surgeries all stemming from problems with her IUD. From what I understand the IUD "nicked" her and caused some serious damage. I heard other horror stories from friends so I never had it done. It's regular birth control for me until one of us has surgery. My doc doesn't want to mess my system up since all is going well, so it's Jason's turn!!!! I've done my duty!

Bexie Funk said...

that sucks! unexpected surgery is never exciting. hope everything goes well.

Jocelyn said...

Gosh, that sucks, and I'm so sorry this happened!

I've had two Mirenas put in (before and after Eli), and I've never had any problems. But I had a friend who had some big problems.

Are you planning to contact the manufacturer? It might not be a bad idea. Until then, stay safe until your surgery!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

What the crap?!! That is awful AND scares the bejeezus out of me! I was totally planning to get one! And I totally think your doc should have told you about this--and they should foot the bill!

KT said...

What?!?! I've heard that is a possible complication, but I don't know anyone that it has actually happened to. I can't believe it! How frustrating and scary. Good luck with the surgery.

The Hickman Family said...

Holy cow, that's crazy! I've heard of it being implanted in the uterus, but not what happened to you. Congratulations, you're now a case study! I know you'll probably never get one again, but if it counts I LOVED mine =)

Jami said...

That stinks. How long will you be in the hospital?

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry!! And I appreciate you posting about this, I'm trying to decide right now what to go with and now I'm definitely not going with this!! I know at least two people who have also gotten pregnant with an IUD. Hope your surgery goes well :(

Christina Bassi said...

Oh no. How awful. I would of been so mad. I don't know about those things. My neighbor just got pregnant on an IUD. They had to very carefully remove it so she would not miscarry. She was so mad. They already had three kids and didn't want anymore. The baby is doing well still and she is just about to give birth. They are excited now finally.

Hopefully the surgery goes well. We will be thinking about you.