Saturday, June 14, 2008

Battleship Texas

Lane has been wanting to see the Battleship Texas since we moved to Houston & today was the day. We went on this great tour throughout the whole ship. I feel a lot smarter now. I had no idea it had been in both World Wars. We got to see where men slept, showered & went to the bathroom...funny story that goes along with that. Very interesting.
Lane on whatever you call these guns.
I wasn't able to fit the entire ship in.
Lane is the small speck in front of the door.
Across the street is the San Jacinto Monument. This stands 570 tall. It has the exact blue prints as the Washington Monument except they wanted it to be taller, so they added a star on top. Ha. Earlier this year I told my students that Texas won its independence at the Alamo, when in fact it was here! I know, I'm retarded. So I had to go back the next day & correct myself. That story probably doesn't surprise my family. For some reason I've always managed to say something stupid when it comes to history. Anyway, I watched a short video & learned this battle was won in 20 minutes! Now I bet you didn't know that!

3 comments:

Regina said...

wow. i need you to school me in history.

Jami said...

My personal favorite is when you thought a Mount Vernon cake was going to have faces on it thinking it was Mt. Rushmore.

Christina Bassi said...

I don't know how he parked that truck there. I couldn't do it. Battleship Texas! I haven't been there since I was a little girl. That was pretty funny about your class. Something I would do. :)