Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wasted Night in the ER

Today E woke up feeling pretty warm. I thought maybe she was teething (which she is) & didn't really think much of it. She was pretty lethargic all day & would just lay on me. The weird thing is that she had no other symptons. She really wasn't fussy, throwing up or anything like that. Around 4:30, we decided to take her temperature. It was 103.3. I didn't realize it was that high. Lane thought it would be a good idea to take her in to be safe. He says that they say if it's 102.2 or higher, take them in. So off we went. When we got there, they checked her temperature & it was 104.9! They gave her some Tylenol. After a while, I could feel it go down & she perked up a tad. Then we waited in the room for an hour & a half until the dr came in. He rechecked her temperature & it was now 101.2. Even though it did go down a bit, it's still almost 102 & that was with Tylenol. I thought for sure she would have to get her blood drawn or a urine test, but nope. The doc said to just give her Tylenol every 4 hours & watch her. I have to say I was a little ticked off. I mean, when a child's temperature is almost 105, you should definitely run some tests to make sure it's nothing serious. Lane was surprised at what he said as well. He said he's never seen that high of a temperature in the ER & they still run tests. But whatever. Hopefully it will go down & stay down. And if it doesn't, and we have to go back, I think we'll go to a different hospital.

13 comments:

Regina said...

Poor Elliot!! I hope she is feeling better! I am sure Lane knows this but they say if you alternate Motrin and Tylenol it works best. For us Motrin works better at lowering the fever. I hate that they can't do anything about it!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Sheesh that's high. Hope she gets feeling better!

Jocelyn said...

Poor E... I hope she has a good night and is back to normal tomorrow!

Alys said...

My dad told me that Elliot had a temperature, so I've been hoping she is okay. I would be super frustrated with that doctor. I mean you could have given her tylenol by yourself and had those results.

The Mulkey Family said...

Jackson go up to 104.4 about 2 months ago and I had a panic attack...he was on fire. It is so scary when it gets up that high. I am glad she is doing better and I hope she is well soon :)

the tatsaks said...

Oh my gosh! That is SO high!!! Neither one if my kids have ever had one that high! I would have freaked out! Keep us updated. I hope she is feeling better. On the bright side, enjoy those sweet snuggles that only come when they are sick!

Mark and Kyra Herbst said...

Wow! There must be something going around, cause that happened to Brielle last week. She only had a fever - no other symptoms. I called the doc, and they said to just give her Tylenol and if she still had the fever for 3 days, to take her in. It went down on its own, and she's been fine. but it's so scary to not know what's wrong with them. Good luck!

KT said...

Holy cow that is high! I would have freaked out. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

Allison said...

Bless her heart! Yeah, that is a pretty high temperature in my book, especially with her age. I would be worried too. I'm surprised they didn't do more at the hospital. Fevers don't seem to worry most docs for some reason unless they are extremely high and don't lower with meds. I would recommend trying to use Motrin as that always seems to work better and faster with my kids. We don't use Tylenol anymore. I hope she feels better soon! Poor thing.

Lindsey said...

Poor little E!! I hope she's feeling better.g

tHe BrOwn FaMiLy said...

I hope that she's feeling better!

Laura said...

I hope Elliot is better by now! Last Saturday night Lindsay started to feel warm too (I thought it was teething too) but when she woke up last Sunday she had a 102.3 temp, but no runny nose or throwing up or anything else. She had a high fever all day Sunday and Monday, but her fever never got above 102.3 so we waited until the day after Labor Day to take her to the doctor. The doctor looked at her ears and throat and listened to her heart and said, just give her Tylenol and sent us on our way. But man, if Lindsay's temp was as high as Elliot's, I'd wouldn't have been very happy with "Just give her Tylenol" as an answer, I mean I didn't even like that answer when Lindsay's fever was 102.3! I'm surprised they didn't test her more either!

Well, again, I hope she is feeling better!

Richard said...

That is scary to have such a high temperature. I hope that she is all better now. - Julianne