Monday, June 27, 2011

What to do with this Mop?

I have been thinking about cutting Elliot's hair for a while now. In fact, a week ago we had her in the bathroom with wet hair & scissors in my hand, but I chickened out. I didn't really have a plan, and she kept turning her head, so I knew it would end in disaster. I do not want to be the reason she has a chili bowl hair cut or something. Anyway, when the day does finally come, I will probably take her in somewhere. At least for the first time.
 The front of her hair is past her eyes, but I don't want to give her bangs. I want her bangs to grow out & go to the side. But when her hair isn't fixed, it looks like this...a mess!
 As you can see from the side, it's very mullet-like.
And from the back, it looks fine. She's got 2 layers going on. I was thinking about chopping off the bottom layer to even things up a bit more. But at the same time I love the way it looks from behind. And it allows me to do pigtails. Any thoughts on this subject?

10 comments:

Allison said...

Emerson went through the EXACT same thing at that same age. And we made the mistake of trimming the front once and it looked terrible, like a chili bowl hair cut. After that we just dealt with the ugliness as I also did not want bangs and wanted to train it to go to the side. So for the mean time I always kept it in some type of bow or clip and it just looked all crazy when we were at home. It's all trained now and goes to the side perfectly on it's own!

If you are going to cut it I would just trim the back some. I would only trim a little off of the front if any just to knock off the ends and make it even. I really regret when we cut hers at that age as she looked like a boy from the front. Hang in there and before you know it her hair will be beautiful!

Jami said...

If you just wait, it will grow out fine.

Gwen said...

I don't have any experience with straight hair because all my girls have curly hair. The only thing I can think of is to take her to Great Clips. Tell them your thoughts and see what they recommend. Whatever you do, make sure you can still make a ponytail. Every little girl has to have a summertime ponytail!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

thoughts? ya, quit whining! (jk) her hair is adorable!!! have you SEEN charlotte's hair? the only way people know she is a girl is b/c of the non stop bows. her hair WILL NOT GROW. :)

Caitlin said...

My niece had similar problems, and I remember my SIL took her in to even up the back a bit and it made her hair look a lot fuller and it actually grew faster after that. I don't have any personal experience, since my child is semi-bald still! Ugh!

Regina said...

I think EVERY girl sports the mullet for a while! I would just leave it. Let it grow and in the mean time just keep putting it up when you go out. Then, re-evaluate the situation maybe after summer. or next year.

Jaymie and Justin said...

I think it looks cute! It has grown so much. Maybe just a trim in the back and call it good.

ChelseaSalomone said...

Jalei~ I know you're not on Facebook so I just wanted to pass along the information about our ten year reunion.

http://www.arlingtonmartin2001.myevent.com/

The Hickman Family said...

I have had the same problem with my two girls. I don't want to cut bangs, but it takes FOREVER for them to grow out. I just end up using a lot of clips and clip the bangs off to the side underneath their long hair (if that makes sense).

Alys said...

I think I would cut off the back layer to make it a little more even. I agree with not cutting the bangs. Good luck. Harrison is so wiggly when I do cut or buzz his hair.