Thursday, September 6, 2012

Preschool with Mom

Our rec center usually has a preschool class, but for some reason this was the first time they did not. Big bummer! I looked around town at different preschools but the average minimum rate was $185/mo & we just can't do that right now. Plus, I wasn't too impressed with any of them. So I was left to create my own little school for Elliot. We've been at it for 3 weeks now. She seems to enjoy it. I on the other hand can already feel my enthusiasm fading. BUT, I will push on. Here's what our week looks like:
Everyday- Calendar Time
MWF- Hooked on Phonics Pre-k level 1-2 + Holiday themed Pre-k Packs
TTH- Math from here and here. (These websites also have other great resources); Theme Activity- I've set a theme for each month. Ex: right now we're doing Apples. At the end of September we will do Leaves. I'll check out a bunch of books on the topic & find crafts or activities to go along with it.

What I've noticed so far...She knows all her letters & sounds. She can count to 20. She can't trace to save her life (with her finger or a pen). Why is this so frustrating to me? I need to work on my patience. Next year I'm banking on a REAL preschool to send her to, because I know I will have no time to do it. This will work for now. She is only 3, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

4 comments:

Jami said...

Make sure to work on number recognition. Matilda could count great, but she didn't recognize all the teens.

Debbie said...

I know how you feel. I've been working on things with Jacob, too. Mainly working every now and then on holding a pen/pencil appropriately and trying to write different letters. I quickly learned that I don't have the patience to ever, ever homeschool. No idea how people can do it. :) But, we're trying!! :)

Bexie Funk said...

holy cow you do WAY more than me. good job! I did preschool too frequently with caroline and got burned out. now its once a week with friends for the boys. and i can't wait until we can afford preschool either! i'm not a teacher.

Gwen said...

I am seriously impressed! Those teaching skills are coming in handy, huh? Good for you for taking action and doing well with it. Just stick with it and E will be smarter than you think she is in no time!