Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sweet Feedom...Kind Of

Today was Elliot's 1st time in nursery all by herself. 18 months is the magic age & believe me when I say that we've been counting down. Between 1 yr & 18 months, church just isn't as enjoyable because we're trying to keep her contained & happy for 3 hours straight. Ya, it's no easy task. Everything started off great. She walked right in & started playing with toys. So Lane & I left & went to our class.  After that hour was over, I went & peeked in the window, only to see her being held while she cried. I hate seeing this. In addition to me feeling bad, I am feeling sorry for her nursery teacher because no one wants to have to hold a crying kid the whole time. Well her crying started to escalate, so I decided to go in & sit with her for a little bit. She was fine while I was there, but then I had to get back to my class, so I excused myself & she returned to tears. I figured that she would calm down eventually. After church, I went to pick her up & she was still being held & her face was all red. So sad! Apparently she had started crying about 10 minutes after we dropped her off & it was sort of off & on until the first hour had passed. Then I saw what happened from that point on. Hopefully she'll adjust & will learn to love nursery because there's no going back for her parents.

9 comments:

C Jester said...

You have to be strong, or you will get sucked into sitting in there the entire time. Eleanor is the first one that went in without a fuss. With Imogen, we pushed her in the door and ran. Deanne said she would cry for about 10 minutes and then get over it. They get better with time.

Regina said...

Awwww! that's so sad! I think arden will maybe cry too when that time comes. But I would try to avoid going in and sitting with her because then, she will expect it and always cry until you come in. There are at least two kids in Kelly's class (SENIOR nursery, mind you)who's parents still come in to sit in on nursery. It will be hard to see/hear her cry, but she will be over it in a couple weeks. Plus, she is so good and well behaved, it probably wont even be that long. So there is my totally unsolicited advice for the day!

Bexie Funk said...

i'm sure she'll be ok soon. but yeah its sad. caroline hated nursery for a while. now she can't stop asking me when primary starts.

Allison said...

It took Emerson almost 4 months of crying. It was so sad and frustrating, but at least she was only in the nursery for about 1 hour. She did gradually get used to it and then only cried when we dropped her off and was okay after she was distracted. The staff did say she took the most time to adjust.

And I totally agree, be strong and don't go in there because she will get used to it and expect it...they are creatures of habit!! Be strong and I promise it will get better. Emeson loves going now and does great. I'm so glad we stuck it out because we almost gave in many times and took her to church with us instead (she did end up there 2 times due to the hysterical tears). Jason was the one that was the big sissy while I told him we needed to tough it out. :)

The Piersons said...

I can't believe Elliot is 18 months old already, she is getting so big! I know nursery is hard at this age but she will adjust, each week will get better. I seriously think those nursery workers deserve something fabulous.

Christina Bassi said...

Congratulations! It is so nice when they finally can go in. We don't know what we are going to do with Garek when he doesn't fit in his infant carrier anymore. He won't just sit still in my arms like Dominic did. I think all kids have a hard time at first with nursery but before you know it I'm sure she will just run in and not look back. Aren't you so glad they have those little windows on the nursery doors. I just loved being able to peek in and see all the cute little things they are doing.

Alys said...

I am not looking forward to the nursery, but I am. Like you said, church is not the same trying to wrestle a wigggly toddler. I think Harrison might be okay, but who knows. I think Sean will take him a few weeks early for a little bit of Sunday School to get him used to it. I will be at home with the new baby, so it will probably be good for Harrison to get some attention from others at that point.

the tatsaks said...

Poor baby...and Mommy! Hope it went better today! Keep us posted!

Lindsey said...

Poor thing!!! But don't worry, I'm sure she will get used to it and start to love it!