Monday, August 29, 2011

Elliot Likes to Draw

...on my couch.
 And herself.
I knew the day would come when I'd walk into the office & see scribble marks on my white couch. In fact every day I hold my breath as I enter. There is no way to child proof the doors because they just push open. I have considered myself lucky until now. While I was folding clothes in my room, she had gone into the office to do the damage. When she came back to my room I saw she had drawn all over her. That's when I went to investigate. I can't believe she did that. The one room that I think is cute, she had to mess up. I wish it would have been our living room couch because that one is already looking pretty shabby. But no, she did it to the 3 month old couch. Yes it was from Ikea, but it still looked good in the space. 
So I gave her a lecture that she smiled her way through. I know she knows she wasn't supposed to do that. Every day when she draws, I say "paper only" & she's really good about it. But when I was trying to be stern with her & explain that that is NOT ok, I feel like she didn't get it. What can you do? Lane punished her by putting her head in the fan. Ok I'm kidding, well not really. The 2 incidents were totally unrelated. Later this evening he was playing with her & lifted her up to put her on his shoulders. Apparently he lifted her a little too high because her head hit the fan. *No children were hurt during this time.* She did stick her lip out for a second & then was fine. I teased him that he showed her.

9 comments:

Allison said...

Sorry to say, but I am smiling right now! Only because I know exactly what you are going through and I am glad someone else has experienced this too. Makes me feel better! Emerson has done it all and still has to be watched all the time. I am like you when I walk into a room I hold my breath for fear of what I might discover! And Emerson still doesn't get the severity of it either as she still thinks it is fun and entertaining and lectures, spankings, and time-outs don't phase her much. I keep telling myself it's just a phase and I will look back and laugh years down the road. :)

That picture of E reminds me so much of a picture of Emerson covered in dry erase marker about 18 months ago.

Diane said...

Bummer! Any luck trying to get the pen off? I wonder if the Magic Eraser would do the job?

Hopefully the fan wasn't going when her head hit it!

Christina Bassi said...

Oh no! She colored on your 3 month old couch. I bet you are upset. What a bummer.

Regina said...

Oh man that stinks! Kelly hasn't every drawn on anything (although we all know the paint incident) but I am betting Arden will do lots of damage. She is a stinker!

I laughed out loud about Lane sticking her head in the fan! Too funny!

Jami said...

It's a right of passage. All of the girls have drawn on something. Thankfully they were all at mom and Dad's.

the tatsaks said...

HAHAHA! I laughed out loud too at the hand in the fan comment!!! So funny! Lane has had bad luck with her lately-ha! And I so know what you mean about smiling when you are getting on to them! Cru does this ALL the time. And then he covers his mouth. It like he knows he should not be smiling but he just cant help it!

Gwen said...

You made me laugh out loud!!!

I have to admit, part of the reason I don't let Scarlett draw/color is because I'm afraid of her drawing on our couch. She gets her drawing/coloring practice at my parents house.

I'm so sorry about the couch! You should keep your current furniture until you guys are done having kids. That way, all of the kids can mark on the same furniture and you're not constantly replacing it. As much as I love my furniture, I know in another 3 or 4 years it will have to be replaced. Dang these kids!!!

Bexie Funk said...

caroline drew a butterfly on our couch, and she's 5. it was bound to happen but it stinks. we took all drawing supplies away for a few days.

Missy said...

That totally stinks! But I think you can buy covers for that couch can't you? Might be easier to have something you can take off and wash if you need to! Shelby is our mischievous kid. I have no doubt her climbing or curiosity is going to drive me insane someday!