Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 4 of Hives

Davis woke up today with hives again. This baffles me because yesterday we didn't give him anything with wheat. Although last night he did eat a big bowl of ice cream & I do remember reading that sometimes ice cream can have wheat. But you wouldn't think it would have enough. Anyway, I decided to make an appointment for him. Lane was against this because he said they wouldn't be able to tell you anything we don't already know. Allergies with kids is a mysterious thing & I understand that, but I'm a definitive kind of person & if there's a test that will tell me, then I want to know. I figure it wouldn't hurt to try. So we went in & discussed all the issues with the doctor. He said we could do the food panel test, but I could tell he didn't think it was a great test & Lane agreed with him. He also said we could test him for wheat allergies since that's what we think it is. I was happy with that, because I'm pretty sure it is & I just want it confirmed. We won't know the results until Wednesday or Thursday but if it comes back negative then I'll probably ask for a referral to an allergist & go from there. For this test, he had to get his blood drawn. 
 They put him in this papoose so he wouldn't be able to move around too much. It looked so sad. When they first stuck the needle in, he didn't seem to care, but once they got it positioned into the vein, he was not having it. Can't say that I blamed him.
After all the drama.

Later that day we went to the store to see if we could find some gluten free items. They pretty much all run the same price of $4.58. There wasn't much to choose from so we just got a loaf of bread. Ha! We also got some Rice Krispies cereal since Cherrios is now out. We already have Chex. I think the gluten free stuff works because he had a piece of bread & milk for lunch & no hives showed up. What an adjustment this will be. Hopefully he'll start liking fruits, vegetables & meat again. Otherwise he will wither away.

4 comments:

Jami said...

That stinks, but at least you will know for sure.

groovyonetoo said...

You might ask if he can take an allergy medication like Allegra or Zyrtec every morning if they find a food allergy. That made a big difference for Alexandra. If the medication was already in her system then she could occasionally eat some wheat. Personally, I think that's why she outgrew the allergy because she could still be exposed to wheat. No medical reason at all here, just Momma's intuition. ;) Good luck! I REALLY feel your pain!

Allison said...

Poor sweet boy! No fun! But, I'm like you and I want answers (which is funny given the situation we are in. God is teaching me patience!). Hope they can get it figured out so you can move on and do what you have to do for him. Fingers crossed that if it is a wheat allergy he will out grow it soon.

KT said...

Poor kid, that is no fun for him or you! I hope you get answers.