Saturday, November 10, 2012

Picky Eater/Allergic Reaction

We have a picky eater on our hands! When Davis first started eating solid foods, he did great. He would eat whatever fruit I cut up for him & would still eat baby food vegetables. But after 2 weeks, all the things he would eat before, he would now turn his nose up at. He pretty much limited his food intake to milk, cereal, any kind of bread, nutrigrain bars, yogurt and Hebrew National hot dogs (closest meat product). This has been so frustrating, but at least I have a few staples. Then things got worse yesterday. When he woke up from his morning nap, he had hives all over. They looked like this.
 As you can see, it doesn't seem to affect his mood.
 After some Benadryl, he's fine.
Sorry for the crack shot, he was just so squirmy.

Anyway, at first we thought he was allergic to blueberries because that morning he ate blueberry pancakes & later in the day I gave him mixed berry Nutrigrain bars for the first time. Usually he has strawberry or apple Nutrigrain bars. But then today I only gave him milk & Cherrios for breakfast and he had the same reaction. Later today we gave him whole grain bread before giving him his milk & he broke out. So we have pinpointed his allergy to wheat. This is pretty much my worst nightmare considering his short list of foods he can eat just dwindled to basically nothing. This stresses me out so much! It's so strange because it JUST started yesterday, whereas before he hasn't had any problems with it. Lane thinks it may just be whole wheat that gives him problems because he just ate some crackers & nothing happened. But still. If any of you have had to deal with this kind of allergy, please let me know.

The stats aren't looking good either. They said that 30% of kids grow out of it by age 3 (2 more years!), 60% by age 8 & 70% by 12 years old.

10 comments:

The Piersons said...

Have you guys gone to the doctor yet? I dealt with hives with Carson just like that. We could not figure out what it was, we went to the pediatrician then a children's allergist. (A 3 month wait to get in) After all the testing, two visits, eliminating foods, they couldn't figure out what it was. Benadryl always made it go away so we just started giving it to him every time he had hives (our pediatrician also prescribed some cream for it). I always said I thought it was seasonal because we could never pinpoint a food but it looked just like a food allergy. The next year it came back (same time of year) but much less and then this year he never got it.

I could write a forever comment about it. Buy a good lotion to put on his skin for some relief but it was the same with Carson it just came out of nowhere and I could not figure out what it was. I can give you details on the food elimination plan our doctors gave us, let me know if you are interested. His also started like that on his trunk and then spread out. Don't be afraid of Benadryl though. I hated to give Carson some everyday but our doctor said that was totally fine.

Jami said...

Katherine had some sort of wheat reaction when she was little too, but it went away.

groovyonetoo said...

Alexandra would wake up screaming from stomach pain in the middle of the night when she started solid foods. I thought it might be bread related but was getting varying reactions. Finally we had a blood test done and she was allergic to wheat. She started allergy meds then because wheat was in everything. Thank goodness she outgrew it by the time she was two. While drawing the blood was awful, it was the best thing we could have done for her. That's how we found her peanut allergy and I'm so glad we didn't find it by giving her some. She's had it twice by accident since and the reactions are escalating.

Allison said...

I agree with the other people that commented. I would take him to an allergist to get him tested or to at least get their opinion. Landon is almost 7 and still gets unexplained hives. We've been to the allergist many times where they tested him for everything numerous times as well as having blood work up to check out his immune system. Nothing showed up except a slight allergy to mold, but really not enough to explain his hives. The first time when he was 3 years old they were so bad and were on every inch of his body and drove him crazy and lasted for 4 days. We ended up at the ER twice and finally on steroids that cleared it up by the 4th day. However, he still gets them out of the blue 1-2 times a year. We analyzed his diet and could not find a trigger. We (and the allergist) are still stumped! However, I'm still glad we had him tested to make sure there were no bad food allergies. You don't want to stress yourself out and put yourself through h*ll if he really isn't allergic to wheat. Especially since he's a picky eater already. Good luck and fingers crossed it's not a wheat allergy!

Oh, my nephew had an egg allergy where he got hives real bad starting around 1 years old but he outgrew it by the time he was 3 or 4 and can eat them now.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Yikes! That is one of my worst fears, too. Kiddos with allergies would be so hard! Hopefully his is a temporary thing.
btw--got your birthday card in the mail. you're the best! I will call you this week so we can catch up.

Regina said...

Poor Davis!! That looks worse than I was even picturing!! If it were me, I would take him to the allergist.

Kashari said...

I would talk to my mom about it. Kalee had major food allergies when she was young (all wheat products, all dairy, eggs and potatoes, and some others I think.)
She might have some suggestions about it.

Debbie said...

Poor guy! Sounds like Davis and Noah have the same taste in food. We always say for Noah, as long as it's carbs...we're good to go. I can't imagine having to go gluten. But, the good thing is - if it's for sure that, then it's so common nowadays that there's a much bigger selection and availabilty for gluten free products. Hope you can get some solid answers soon!!

Jocelyn said...

So sad! I guess you haven't received the results of the blood draw yet?

I took Eli to an allergist about a year ago (maybe it was this year... I can't remember anymore) because he would have these weird, red reactions on his face after certain foods (including eggs, peaches and tomatoes). We never really found out anything definitive, and the rash never seems to bother him. But I still won't let him eat scrambled eggs or peaches.

At least Davis still seems happy and is not bothered by the hives! But poor baby... I hope y'all can figure out and he starts eating more.

Christina Bassi said...

Dominic use to break out in hives like that. This sounds silly but I think he was allergic to moist heat because if the bath was too warm or if he when into a hot tube he always would break out. It was weird but he grew out of it. Hopefully Davis does too. Good luck.