Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I realize that I paint a pretty picture of Elliot on this blog. While I really do feel that way about her and am so blessed to have good nature children, she does have her moments. Lately it's been more like days turning into a week. She is really well behaved during the day with the exception of nap time. Recently she has been turning into a demon child between the hours of 1-3pm. She is no longer wanting to sleep. Lane says to just let her not nap since she isn't grumpy without one, but I have always said that "my child will take a nap until at least kindergarten age". I guess I didn't take into account that she has a mind of her own. Yes, I'm the parent & she should do what I say, but I have tried everything with no success. I was even extra nice today and read her several books with the hopes of her thinking "I have the best mom in the world". Yes I sucked up to my own child. And it didn't work. I tried playing soft church music thinking it might soothe her to sleep. And while it did cause her stay quite the whole time, it didn't prevent her from getting out of her bed. I just knew she was up to no good. So when the time came to let her out of her room, I had my camera ready because I knew it would be a disaster. Case and point...
Seriously? Can you believe she has the ability to not only take the mattress off her bed, but turn it upside down as well? I just don't know what to do with her. We already told her no walk, movies or snacks if she doesn't take a nap. We've taken everything away from her, but it doesn't seem to matter. I think I'll still play music during this time since it did keep her quiet, but it may be harder trying to prevent the mess that follows. I guess it will now be a quiet time & if she falls asleep that will be an added bonus.

8 comments:

Jami said...

Very impressive. Maybe just let her lay and read books instead.

Regina said...

Kelly just quit taking naps in the last couple months, but he still has to have quiet time while the babies sleep. He plays quietly in his room. Maybe you could only let her do certain things on certain days. Like books/puzzles one day, drawing one day, a movie one day. I don't know! Good luck!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I feel your pain! Sage bargains with me a lot these days. (although she is almost 4!) She has "quiet time" a few days a week where she has to stay in her room and read books in bed but when she has school or when we have been really busy she passes out. Charlotte is still too scared to climb out of her own bed so if she doesn't sleep she just lays there. And I cannot believe she is strong enough to flip that mattress over?!

Missy said...

I've always been amazed by Ambyr Porter's kids who still take naps when they're 5! I don't know how she does it. Ben stopped taking naps right before he turned 3. Coincidently it was when I started staying home. Not fair! So I honestly don't know what to tell you. A friend of mine uses the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child or something like that and her kids still nap. I might have to read it in case I have issues with Shelby stopping naps early. I don't know what I would do!

monica said...

oh wow!
the title of your post made me laugh. I can't believe she did that all by herself.

Jocelyn said...

I'm sorry, but that's really funny! How in the world did she get the mattress up and over without you hearing it?

Christina Bassi said...

How funny. She is strong for a little girl. I know if I wear my kids out at the park in the morning it is easier to get them to take a nap. Garek is trapped in my awesome crib tent. Best thing ever! Too bad there aren't bed tents. :-)

Alys said...

We have everything out of Harrison's room, and the mattress is on the floor. So he has nothing he can play with. For a while there we stayed by the door and everytime he got up we told him to go back to bed, and if he was really naughty he got a little spanking. Eventually he would fall asleep. That went on for over a month. Now I just have to keep the door open and he things I am sitting outside it. Then I stay quiet downstairs, and once he is asleep I close the door quietly. Oh, and we have the lock turned around. So he gets locked in for the mornings when he wakes before 6, which is most mornings. He knows to go back to bed. Good luck. It is no fun when kids won't nap.