Tuesday, October 23, 2012

We Moved...

...in with my parents. Yep, you read that right. About a month ago I asked Lane if he would be interested in doing that and we made a list of pros & cons. It seemed like there were a lot more cons, but the pros had more weight to them.  So we agreed that we would. Then the day after we decided, we changed our minds:) Then about a week later, we were back on board. As you can see it was a difficult decision. It's not like we had to move. Lane has 1.5 years left in his residency program and after that we would like to buy a house. A house we would live in forever or at least a good while. So my mind started thinking of all the things we could put the money we'd save towards: down payment on a house, furnishing the house, Lane's med school loans. Just those 3 things alone will take a lot of money! And where we're at right now, we aren't able to save that much each month. Plus I'm about to have a baby in 2 months, and if I'm being honest, I'm already worn out, so some extra help while he's at work would be really nice. It's hard to give up your space and become apart of someone elses. But my parents have a pretty good set up. They have a finished out basement with a living room, bathroom, bedroom, and office. So we can stay down there a lot if we feel like it. The kids both have their own rooms upstairs. We pretty much share a kitchen, although we do have a refrigerator/freezer and some shelving set up for our own food downstairs.

Anyway, we are moved in now. The past 3 days I have put in about 15 hours of work. I told Lane I have probably lifted way more than I should have. I don't know how we always manage to move when I'm pregnant. And 2 of the 3 times have been towards the end of my pregnancy. Now that almost everything is in it's place, I have to say it feels good.

7 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

shawn started a year before lane and sill has 3.5 years left. no fair. and i feel your pain. we will not be buying a new house right after residency. it'll definitely be a while.

Jami said...

Eleanor is happy to have a built in playmate.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I really think it's a smart move. Do it now while you can. While the kids are small and while your folks have all that extra space. You will save lots and be glad you did it. If my parents had the room, we wouldn't even question it. It will for sure be hard to give up your space/own routine, but it will be worth it!

Jocelyn said...

I'm sure it must be a big adjustment to live with your folks, but it sounds like the "pros" are all pretty major. Plus, the setup at your parents house sounds pretty ideal. And hopefully the next 1.5 years will fly by!

Gwen said...

Having help with the kids will be amazing. Plus, watching that account balance grow will be so much fun! I'm sure moving back home will be quite the adjustment but it will be so worth it!

Christina Bassi said...

You are so blessed to have such awesome parents. It is going to be nice to have the extra help with Lane away so much. I think you guys made a smart move. :-)

Lindsey said...

Saving money is always a good idea!