Thursday, August 30, 2012

What's in a Name?

Coincidentally, right as my friend made a comment asking if we'd thought of names, the subject was actually on my mind. So I thought I'd put a little snippet up here about it. What a struggle this has been for me! Usually at this point I am dead set on a name. Assuming we were having a boy, we both agreed on Bennett Clark Blankenship. Isn't that name awesome? So strong and successful sounding. I could picture him with some high power job. BUT, when we found out it was actually a girl, we were at a loss. Not that we haven't thought about it. We have a few names, but none that we both love. I want Perry, but Lane says it's a no go. He wants Leighton, but I'm not sure about it. Not that I don't like it. I did come up with it, but later came up with Perry which I liked better :) ANYWAY, we have since thought of a couple more, but are still wondering what the final name will be. I guess I'm kind of picky. I mean, when I hear different names, I like them, but I think to myself, I don't like them for my family, you know? If you have any ideas, let me know. I'm definitely open for suggestions. I apparently tend to go with surnames. That was not planned, but is how it ended up. It's not mandatory though. So there you go. That is where we're currently at with the name game.

10 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

That boy name was great. And the girl names are cute, Perry reminds me of Scrubs. I"m excited to see what you guys agree on!

Jami said...

Are you a closet Scrubs fan?

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

oooohhh! I like Perry!

Missy said...

Not Perry the Platypus! ;)

If our baby is a girl we are naming her Cameron Elizabeth if it's a boy we have NO EARTHLY IDEA. I know you like names that are non traditional and that makes it hard sometimes. But it always works out, doesn't it?

I like some of these non traditional names for girls, some we'd never use but I think are cute:

Ryan
Drew
Morgan
London
Reese
Corinne
Tess
Scout

Jami, they must be Scrubs fans because they have a girl named Elliot. :)

Mandy said...

I like Perry! My husband loves that name...he's actually the one who suggested it to me (for the future, not pregnant!) I think Perry also fits well with Elliot and Davis. Congrats on #3!

Debbie said...

oooo I love your boy name. Good thing we have 2 boys. I've always been able to come up with boys names I like better than girl names. It would be fun for you to have another surname for #3. I'm sure you guys will pick another great one. :)

Brenden said...

I'm the same way, we have always had set names picked out before we even knew what we were having! If we have any more kids, I want Asher James for a boy or Audrey Jane for a girl. It could change though.

Here's some "surname" names I thought were pretty cute:

Hadley
Henley
Piper
Kennedy
Reagan
Carson
Carter
Rowan
Blythe
Ellis (too close to Elliot maybe?)
Harper


I really like Leighton, too! Perry is my mother-in-laws maiden name :)

Jocelyn said...

It's SO hard, right?! But I must say, I love Perry for a girl. I also like it for a boy. Eli's middle name is Peary (sounds the same, but spelled different because it's a family name on my husband's side), and had it been spelled Perry, it might have ended up being his first name.

Also, I like Bennett for a girl's name as much as I like it for a boy. Have y'all thought about that??

Leighton is also a cute name. And among the names your friends have already suggested, I like Drew, Morgan, Reese, Corinne (or Corinna), Hadley, Piper, Rowan and Blythe.

Good luck!!

Regina said...

Ooooh, I love talking baby names!! I think you go for surnames, but also unisex ones. (Elliot, Reese, Leighton, and Perry are ALL unisex!) so here are some suggestions:

Kincaid
Sawyer
Collins
Quinn
Monroe
Berkeley
Brinkley
Whitley (I also like just Whit or Brit)
Dylan
Kyle
Henley
Finley
Landry
Campbell
Emersen
Chase
Parker
Harper
London
Holland
Hadley

And as much as I LOVE Ellis, I do think it is super close to Elliot, but Hollis might be a good substitute.

And I am also in love with the name Briar for a girl and Reeve or Reeves for a boy or girl. Don't ask me why. Just am. :-)

And as much as I despise cutesy spellings, I really think Peri is a cute feminine way to spell Perry.

Regina said...

I just read Missy's comment and I love Ryan on a girl too!