Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Anxiety

The past couple of days, Lane & I have been talking about where he's going to apply for residency programs. This subject makes me super excited because once he applies, I'll at least know that those are the places we will possibly live for the next 3 years. It narrows things down a bit. At the same time it makes me want to throw up because what if we DON'T get into a Texas program? I've always assumed & have actually counted on us staying here. Will it be the end of my world? Maybe. And I have to remember that this process is different than getting accepted into a college. Lane ranks the places he interviews at & they rank all of the applicants they see & then they match them up. Pretty confusing to me, but that's how it is. And then I just saw a friend of mine's blog & they're going to Fort Worth (my ideal spot) for her husband's job. I know we still have a year to go until we end up wherever, but the decisions are about to start. I want to live by my family & friends. I want Elliot to be close with them. We've already been away for 3 years & if we don't go back it will be a total of 7 years when it's all said & done. We both want to be in the DFW area, so at least we're on the same page. But there's only 1 tier 1(the best) program in Texas. Yes there are some other tier 2 programs, but Lane has pretty good grades & can possibly get into the good programs. Of course we want the best for him. We're not pouring money into his education to not at least shoot for the top, right? Which means that he'll rank Southwestern (Dallas) as #1 & keep his fingers crossed. Then from there who knows. What if he gets his #2 or #3 choice? It could be Arizona, Carolinas, etc. Can you tell I'm stressed? I just need to put this out of my mind until he actually interviews in the fall. Things will be more clear then.

13 comments:

Jami said...

Does he one full year left? I would do some praying, and leave it to heavenly father.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Um, Lane's a genius. He's going to get in wherever he wants.

Jocelyn said...

Have you already said (and I missed it) what Lane's speciality will be?

My sister-in-law graduated from UTMB last year with med-peds, and she's doing her residency at Baylor in Houston. Do you know... is that a Tier 2 hospital??

Jen-Jen said...

i will be praying for yall!! i know how that feels! it's so scary not know what could happen and where you might end up. i am honestly shocked ryan ended up getting a job exactly where we wanted to be so the good news is it could totally be fort worth!only a few more weeks until we are living in the same city!! can't wait!

Allison said...

I would feel the exact same way too, but try not to worry about it as it's all in God's hands. He has a plan all laid out for your family. And, Lane is so smart I know he'll get in wherever his top pick is.

Kashari said...

Ah man that would be stressful. I will start praying so you can stay in Texas cause Texas will definitely not be the same with you 3 gone.

{lex} said...

I hope you guys do move to Fort Worth area. It sounds like a stressful time.

Alys said...

Well, I can say from personal experience being away is not always bad. I loved the 3 1/2 years we were in Provo, away from both families. We had so many good memories. But, I totally understand not wanting to be away from family. I feel like I miss out on a ton of my family. But, I know we are supposed to be here. The right thing will work out. And, the good thing is Lane is a genius, so he will probably get his top pick!

Laura Weight said...

Wow, sounds like a fun but crazy time for you all. Rob and I are the best at making decisions (not really). I can relate to that stressful feeling. I like the know exactly what to expect so I can plan accordingly. We went through something similar to that last year this time with rob's job. However, we knew that we would probably still be in Texas. Well I agree with the comment, that Lane is a genius and will probably get into wherever he wants. Whatever happens, it will be the best for you guys, I know it. It always works out that way :) Well, we are excited to find out what the verdict will be in the next little while! Good luck guys!

Bexie Funk said...

if you need to talk about the stress give me a call! or pull me aside in church i definitely know what you're going through. Honestly our top choices were out of Texas (that's where our family is). Three years isn't too long, at least its not 5!

Regina said...

When will you find out? Not to add any pressure, but you HAVE to come back!! JK, you will go wherever you need to and everything will be perfect.

Lindsey said...

Good luck! I am sure everything will work out.

Jan said...

What great pics and videos!!! I want to jump into my car and go to the beach now. I guess Elliot is going to love the beach like her Grandma1