Sunday, January 16, 2011

Speaking in Church

In our church, members are assigned to speak each Sunday. We have lived in our current ward boundaries for 3.5 years & I have managed to escape this task, which is a miracle in itself. But today they finally caught up with me. I was asked to speak on the transforming power of faith & character. This topic to me was so abstract. If it was just on faith or character alone, I feel I could come up with something decent. But the two together & then on top of that, how they can transform someone just had my mind going in all different directions. Thank goodness I have a wonderful husband who is great at putting together things like this without even breaking a sweat. Needless to say, Lane helped me out a great deal! Everything went fine. My voice eventually stopped shaking & before I knew it, it was over. So for my parents, here is my talk.

5 comments:

Jami said...

That is a hard topic. In our ward, they give you a few articles to help you focus.

Bexie Funk said...

i'm with you its a bit abstract. i dread talking in church too! i had to speak twice in that ward so you got off pretty easy! my voice always shakes and i cry almost the entire time i'm up there.

Lindsey said...

I am sure it was great!! And hey, that's better than "choose your own topic"...that's always my least favorite. Also I agree that you are lucky because I had to speak twice in that ward too :)

Christina Bassi said...

Brian does the same thing for me. Thank goodness for our husbands. Glad it went well. We just had to give a talk too on Christmas. I always get so nervous.

Laura said...

You did great by the way! I didn't even notice your shaking... at all. I think you are a great public speaker, seriously you have a voice that is easy to listen to and you had great stuff in your talk. You would have made a great Sport Broadcaster! :)