Saturday, October 16, 2010

Man vs Food Stake Out

Lane had a 2 hour meeting (stupid right?) in Austin today. Instead of him having to wake up at 4am & drive there & back in 1 day, we decided to make a little trip out of it & go down Friday. We are Man vs Food fanatics, so I looked up the website & found all the places he's been in Austin. I think we made it to them all except for 1. Here's what we thought...

The Salt Lick
Grade: B+
This was really good. The meats were awesome. The only reason we didn't give it an "A" was because the bread was just ok & you have to pay extra for bbq sauce. What?! That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Although the bbq sauce was pretty good, I still like Spring Creek's better (it's tough to beat).








Fran's Hamburgers
Grade: A
A good burger. The ingredients were fresh & tasty. Lane got the jalapeno burger & said there were at least 3 jalapenos on it. I chose the hickory burger & it was great.




Hey cupcake
Grade: A+
We got the "Pumpkinator" cupcake. It was so delicious! The cream cheese icing with graham cracker crumbs really made it. And I loved the fact that it wasn't a rinky dink size. I would say it's a little larger than the norm.






Big Top Candy Shop
Grade: hard to say
Of course this adorable old timey candy shop has every candy imaginable & even a soda fountain. But I was there for the chocolate covered bacon. That's what Adam (Man vs Food) got, so I was going with his choice. I liked the fact that it had a thick coat of chocolate on the bacon, however I prefer mine cooked a little crispier. It definitely wasn't bad. But I really wouldn't get it again.


The truck happened to be out, so I made Lane & E pose for a picture.


We went up to Mt. Bonnell. I love this place. The view from the top is so pretty. Elliot had a great time walking around at the top.







And that's the end of our adventures.

14 comments:

Alys said...

What an adventurous weekend! I can't believe y'all went to so many places to eat. Looks like it was a fun get away.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

You guys are hilarious!!!

Lindsey said...

LOVED this post!! Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun and now I want to go eat at all of the places that y'all did! (well besides the BBQ place I've been there before)

Bexie Funk said...

extra for bbq sauce? that's ridiculous! and i tried pumpkin fudge the other day and loved it! i really need to see that show!

Justin and Allison said...

Ha! You might love food more than me!!! You are right, Spring Creek is hard to beat.

KT said...

How fun! Elliot looks adorable in the shirt you made for her.

The Hickman Family said...

Chocolate covered bacon! That sounds disgusting! The cupcake sounds really good though.

Regina said...

SHUT UP RIGHT NOW!! I saw a recipe for chocolate covered bacon in my Taste if Home magazine and have been wanting to try it! Sounds good to me. And E looks adorable in her shirt!

Jaymie and Justin said...

We love Man vs. Food too! Sounds like a fun day!

The Rowes said...

I would love to go on a trip that revolved around food. All that yumminess is making me hungry.

Debbie said...

how fun! you crack me up! we were just watching a man vs. food marathon yesterday. we had just talked about wishing we could travel around and try all the same foods and you got a really good head start! nice! :)

Debbie said...

and ps - extra $ for the bbq sauce?!?!!? what the snap! that's crazy!

Christina Bassi said...

Sounds like you guys had a good time! We know who we want to go vacationing with next time. :)

Brenden said...

We love that show too, we watch it almost every Saturday morning. I can't believe that chocolate covered bacon! There is a hey cupcake right by my sister's house in Austin, we stopped there for on b-day last year, and she had her rehearsal dinner at salt lick. I didn't know those places were on Man V. Food!